I didn’t even have the heart to do a blog post on Wednesday evening. All went well with John as he took our girl Pippi to a friend’s farm to be bred by one of his bucks. They got down there, she got bred, they came home. He called me and let me know that things were good and I breathed a sigh of relief.
Only to come home Wednesday afternoon and find SnowPea and Bonbel in heat! AARGH! No one settled. It took me a few hours to process that and decide how to proceed. SnowPea is our oldest doe and she has been a very dependable milker, and I am currently milking her in the mornings along with Pippi. So I chose to have John take the other goat, Bonbel, to be bred on Thursday morning. Things went well again and hopefully we now have two bred and two unbred does. Two is good enough for us to get by with in the milk department, so I am ok with that. I don’t know what I will do if these girls come into heat in 3 weeks, but I guess we will cross that bridge when we get there. I can keep up the milking all the way through with these two if no one ends up pregnant, so I guess I should just keep positive thoughts for now!