Fuzzy’s ordeal

Fuzzy Lumpkin gets down to work on Sunday morning

Saturday we had a very relaxing day.  Our friend Chris came over and we had some fun time with the lambs, and then just sat and chatted for awhile before going over to Hatchtown Farm‘s ram shearing late in the afternoon.  That was a wonderful time, handling those gorgeous and incredibly large fleeces!  Then we all went out to the Thai restaurant in town and relaxed and had a good laugh.

That night we kept our eye on Fuzzy Lumpkin as I had seen her checking out every corner of the paddock and greenhouse.  She wasn’t pawing the ground, but it looked like she was setting the scene.  Sunday morning I hopped out of bed at 6 or so, and headed straight up to the paddock.  All the girls were milling around the feeders except for Fuzzy.  She was in the greenhouse, way at the back, licking something off.  I was trying to see what was going on without disturbing her, so I checked out the other pregnant ewes in the yard and then went in to see her.  She was working very hard on a very small, dead ewe lamb.  I doubt that she had much trouble giving birth, the lamb was only 5 pounds, and had been dead for at least a week if not more, in my opinion.  Fuzzy was also pawing at the ground and had a nice waterbag out, so I started milking the goats and getting everyone else their feed.  It became clear that Fuzzy was having difficulty by the time I got finished with chores and I realized there was no feet or nose presenting themselves.  I couldn’t even feel a head or a butt or a tail.  So I called our friend Pam and she came over and helped us get to the bottom of it.  We really thought there were two front feet coming out, but then Pam saw the tail and she turned him pulled him.  A beautiful, 14 lb 10 oz white ram.  We spent a long time making sure he could get going and got a bellyfull of colostrum, and then Fuzzy decided it was time to have the next lamb.  And that one wasn’t happening either.  It was another breech boy and again!  We have never seen that before.  And we are very grateful that Pam isn’t lambing yet at her farm and that she had the time to come and help us out!

It may look bad, but the boys are only bloody because they were searching for milk near where Fuzzy was expelling her placenta

Both of the boys are doing well and are very sturdy rams.  We couldn’t tell the difference between number 1 ram and number 2 ram so we marked one’s rear end with some iodine and then later I went out and put a dab of indelible blue magic marker on the bottom of his tail.  Tomorrow we will dock and tag them and then hopefully no one will lose a tag.  We are very pleased with Fuzzy’s boys.  She is a great mother, just like her mother Sophie!


One thought on “Fuzzy’s ordeal”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.