Marigold’s big adventure

Marigold rests with me on the rock
Marigold rests with me on the rock

The last few days have been incredibly busy. I spent a lovely day at a friend’s camp right on a small lake on Wednesday. It was grey and overcast, but it didn’t start raining until later on, and it didn’t matter because we were relaxing and having fun with a few other friends.

Wednesday night was the big storm, apparently a record for the amount of rain that fell in the course of four hours. By 9:30 p.m. our electricity was out, and every once in awhile throughout the night it blinked back on which made our freezers begin beeping (which need to be reset, necessitating a hop out of bed). The power wasn’t really back on for good until a little after 4 a.m. when we needed to get up anyway. Groan. My husband had to have a routine test down at Maine Medical Center in Portland, and of course, we had to be there by 7 a.m.  By the end of the day yesterday I was toast, and in bed before 9.

Marigold is feeling better now
Marigold is feeling better now

When I went out for chores this morning I heard our little Marigold crying, and realized that she was outside of the paddock fencing, frantically trying to get back to her mama and her sister. Even though she is the friendliest doeling, she was so frightened that she did not want to come to me, or follow me. So it was a process, but I finally got a collar and a leash on her and coaxed her back into the correct area. She and her sister lifted their mama Zelda right off the ground they were so happy to have some comfort food (although I don’t know why Iris was that excited, maybe just commiserating with Marigold and happy to have her sister back!).

It’s a head-scratcher, but she may have gotten out via the extension paddock which I had open to them. I can’t find any openings in the perimeter fencing there or anywhere, but one of them might be sproingy enough in the middle that she scrambled over it. Needless to say, after she had a nosh and a visit with her mama, she came over and lay down on the big rock with her head on my lap, squished up tightly to me. She didn’t even want a good chin scratch, just wanted a snuggle. Funny goatie, happy to be home again.


2 thoughts on “Marigold’s big adventure”

  1. Good to know…goats have feelings too. 🙂 I have learned a lot about farm animals this summer, starting with the farmy. It seems that warm blooded creatures (in my experience, reptiles, etc, are not this way) are all in need of a good hug and comfort sometimes either from each other or another warm blooded critter. Hope that makes sense. Have a great weekend! When do you start back?

  2. I go back on August 27th. Kids come back the following Tuesday. You are already back in session aren’t you? Hope it’s not too hot! So great that you got to have some time with Celi on the farmy. She has quite the operation. I doubt that I could keep up with her!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.