Went out to get some hay this morning. We get some local hay but we also get some of the Canadian compressed bales, which are enormously heavy, but it’s a good bang for the buck, usually. I was driving the 1997 Ford F-350 diesel pickup today and halfway up I noticed that the brake pedal was going awfully low. But, I don’t drive The Beast very often, so I said nothing until all the brake warning lights came onto the dash. My husband said we were probably low of brake fluid, and he would get some and put it in on the way. Luckily, before the ton of hay went onto the truck, he realized we had a broken brake line in the back (as he was pouring in the brake fluid it was pouring out just as fast. Grr.) So moving on to plan #2, we just got a few bales, and turned around to limp home slowly. Thank goodness John drove! I would have been more than nervous, to say the least. Big sigh. Disaster averted, and another project for John. I know what he will be doing this week!
On a more pleasant note, I have been working on a very big fiber project since last summer. If you follow my Instagram feed, you may have seen several photos of my quilt-in-progress. Until last summer, I had not done any quilting for the better part of 30 years. Before my youngest was born I always had a quilt or knitting or weaving project on the go. I don’t know if it was the pins and needles that kind of stopped me with a toddler in tow, or if life just got in the way. (Most likely it was a space issue; the 4 of us lived in a small ranch in NJ and my loom took up a good chunk of the living room, and the spinning wheels had another corner. And then there were the toys and the books… Not much surface left for doing quilts!)
In the past few years I have been following a number of quilting blogs, and have been searching around to find a pattern for our bed quilt. I frequently have small sewing projects going, so I always have a stash of fabric, and that has been growing pretty consistently over the last couple of years. I finally began playing with a pattern I purchased from CluckCluckSew‘s lovely blog, something called “Juice Boxes,” and began matching up some fabrics that I am particularly fond of. I don’t feel that I had much summer last year for many reasons, but the little I did have on my own, I used to cut and sew about 220 quilt blocks. I have never pieced a quilt on a machine before, so this was a new process for me, and one that I am enjoying. (I also listened to about 10 audiobooks while I worked away on this lovely pattern. My favorite thing!)
Now the time has come to get those blocks sewn together and it’s proving a challenge! A queen-sized quilt is enormous, and a little cumbersome. But I am happy with the way it looks so far, although the blocks are not all lining up perfectly. It’s a very happy quilt, however, with lots of my favorite oranges, greens and yellows. I am beginning to suspect that it might not be quite as large as I would like, but we shall see. It’s keeping me out of trouble for the time being, at any rate :*)